Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Top Ten

Have you ever had one of those days… those days where you don’t feel like moving off the couch. Where you have nothing planned and don’t want to do a darn thing so you spend the day flicking aimlessly through the labyrinth of channels on your tv?

I have these days a lot. As a matter of face, I love these days… especially the days when I stumble across a fantastic/fantastically bad but great movie. So today I thought I’d hit you with my top ten most rewatchable movies. These aren’t necessarily my top ten all time movies or my favorite of one genre or another, but just the best movies that no matter what point it is during the movie, you still stop to watch it the rest…

So here we go…(in no particular order)

1. Memphis Belle: It’s not on nearly enough, but whenever I stumble across it, I have to watch it.
2. Star Wars: especially any of the original three. I can’t help myself here. I’ve seen each of the hundreds of times, yet I always feel the need to rewatch them.
3. Shawshank Redemption: TNT made a classic out of this movie, and because it was on so often, I discovered it. Everybody should watch this movie at least once.
4. Independence Day: Corny special effects laden summer blockbuster of 1996, but I just can’t turn it off.
5. Men In Black (1&2): More so one than two though. Again, another Will Smith summer blockbuster, but it keeps me highly entertained every time I watch it.
6. The Rock: Surprising choice huh. A Nicholas Cage movie, and for my money the only good movie he’s made in the past 10 years (well, maybe Con Air)
7. The Running Man: Going old school here. 1980’s Arnold Swartzeneger at his best/worst. Any 80’s movie that deals with their idea of the future is always fine by me.
8. The Dirty Dozen: Love me some World War II movies. Especially those with the cast like this one.
9. The Poseidon Adventure: The original of course, not either of the not so good remakes.
10. Gross Point Blank: I think I've watched this movie 3 times in the past month.

So there you have it. Feel free to suggest new movies or criticize my picks...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two to add to your list:
11. Roadhouse. I mean, how can you turn off this magic? You can't!
12. The Replacements. Entertaining and cheesey sports movie.

Anonymous said...

13. Rudy

And Jason I hate to break it to you, but those sitting on the couch and doing nothing days are soon to be over...

Mike said...

More items to add to the list:

- Old School (well, maybe not the edited version)
- Midway
- Good Will Hunting
- Planet of the Apes (the Charlton Heston one, not the Marky Mark one)
- Clear and Present Danger, especially if it is coming up on the part where the motorcade is ambushed.

I would disagree on Independence Day and The Rock. Those ones feel oddly dated when re-watching.