Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ramblings..

  • So we went to the store tonight.. had to get some new khakis. For some reason, I seem to wear through them really fast. A pair will last me six months or so before a hole appears somewhere or another. Anyway, while there, the wife made me buy some new underwear. Now like any guy, I avoid this as the ones I have do the trick and it's almost Christmas which means Santa will bring some for me. Plus, buying new underwear always makes me feel like less of of man. All these gym rat guys bulging out all over the place on the package... then there's me. The 5'8" irish kid with the beer gut...riiiight cuz by wearing their product, I'll look just like them...
  • Yankee pitcher Mike Mussina announced today that he's going to retire. On the surface, it's not that big of a deal to 99% of the world right. The discussion of the day though is, is he a Hall of Famer. 270 career wins, which is 32nd all time. 3rd most wins all time for a pitcher who went to college (Clemens and Randy Johnson are 1-2).
    I say he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame though. Hall of really good, sure. But the best of the best, I don't think so. Not once did I go to a Sox/Yankees or Sox/Orioles (his former team) game thinking, "man, I can't wait to see Mussina pitch today". His stats are impressive, and somewhat due to durability and longevity, but he was never a pitcher that you feared. You knew it would be a tough win, sure, but he was never one of those guys who just blew you away. Clemens (roids or not), Johnson, Maddux, Pedro... those guys you all feared. I'd put Mussina in the Tom Glavine (who will probably get in due to his 300 wins)/Dave Stewart/Jack Morris class. Above average, and when on his game very very good, but just not quite Hall of Fame level...
    In my opinion, the Hall of Fame should be for the best of the best of their era. Mussina was very good, just not the best...
  • Thankfully, tomorrow is Friday. No major plans for the weekend either. I think we might actually start working on the nursery, which is good, cuz who knows how soon we'll need it. Although the one thing we have to do is to go shopping for Thanksgiving provisions. The wife and I are cooking dinner this year for the first time, so it should be interesting...
  • Winter's here. It's been in the teens when I go to work in the morning and it hasn't been getting out of the 30's lately. I don't really mind the cold, as long as there's snow to go along with it. Sure, snow means lots of shoveling for me, but it also means snowmobiles...
  • Off to get in my daily exercise...(also known as playing Wii)

No comments: