Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!

And what time is that? Summer? Sure, its good enough.. but more specifically, SHARK WEEK on the Discovery Channel. Without fail, every year it's good tv. All their regular shows, plus all new specials on all sharks. If you happen to catch a rerun of the MythBusters episode from Sunday night, I highly recommend it. Great tv...

Anyone interested in attending the Maine Beer Festival?

So there's basically two ways for me to get to and from work (I only live a mile from work, so my options are limited). One route is essentially the back way. Less lights, a little quicker trip. Then other way takes me thru downtown and coincidentally, right by our friendly neighborhood strip club. And I'll tell ya, there's nothing more amusing than driving by and seeing a couple of unsightly "ladies" hanging out outside, in trench coats mind you(wouldn't want to show off the naughty bits for free now would we), having a smoke and chatting it up with the bouncer. Really, I could have the worst day ever at work, and just the sight of that as I drive by makes me feel better about my life.

Apparently there was a "small" earthquake in southern California today. Only a 5.8 I guess. Ever experienced an earthquake before? I have. My very first night living in California, I arrived at like midnight, and was sitting on the couch watching tv, trying to unwind before going to bed, when all of a sudden all the pictures on the wall and the tv started swaying back and forth. There was a lot of rattling coming from the kitchen cabinets and as quick as it started, it was gone. Pretty cool stuff really, but it happened so quick that I really didn't have time to think about it. So I did what you would have expected me to do.. nothing, just sat there and continued to watch tv...

So I'm sitting at work today, busy as always, listening to the radio (espn radio) and a peculiar ad comes on. It went something like this; "do you want to be a millionaire? The only reason you're not, is because you choose not to be." (it's for some get rich quick instructional cd) Um excuse me? I'd like to be rich, and for some reason I doubt that this cd is going to show me how. But you just know that there's someone out there listening going, "Get rich! I want to be a millionaire! I'll take two of those cds!!"

Also at every commercial break, there's a local news report. The guy that reads it is sooo monotone. He sounds exactly like Dan "the Man" Levitan, from Good Morning Vietnam.. amazing really..and because nothing new ever happens up here, its the same news report over and over and over again.. all day long..

The guy that does the weather though, this guy likes his job a little too much. He uses that stereotypical wacky radio dj voice and says stuff like... "chance of thunderstorms tonight, some could be strong.. WATCH OUT!!!" It's very odd to say the least...

2 comments:

Mike said...

There is a guy in Boston who does the radio weather for WBZ in the mornings (Elliot something), and he likes the puns. A lot. Too much, actually.

He usually starts by noting that today is "Dentist Awareness Day" or some other lame holiday, and then working dentist-themed words into his weather report. Like: "Partly cloudy, though the afternoon could be filling with showers. It is unlikely that we'll be drilled with thunderstorms, though."

I end up remembering that today is Dentist Awareness Day and not remembering anything about the weather.

Anonymous said...

Regarding your commute to work.. is there really that many other people living up there? I find it surprising to hear you have traffic, much less traffic lights.