Monday, February 4, 2008

Weekend Report

So lets see..Friday, the wife and I spent a lot of the day (i got out of work at 3) peeling wallpaper, so we kinda forgot to have dinner. So we decided to head out and grab a drink and an appetizer. Chili's here we come!(its the new golfcourse) When we got there, the bar was pretty full, it seemed to be a bunch of regulars, so we took one of the high tables. The waitress comes over (she was maybe 20), introduces herself like they always do (why do they do that, its not like I'm going to remember her name, or shout across the restaurant at her for some more chicken fingers or something) and asks us if we'd like a drink. I get a Sam Adams and the wife orders some fufu drink. The waitress then looks right at my lovely wife and asks to see some I.D. Didn't need/want to see my license, just the wife. So of course the misses thought this was the funniest thing ever (the pointing, laughing and yelling "she thinks you're old!" gave it away). Rest of the night was pretty uneventful.. Saturday, what a day. Lets just say we didn't leave the bedroom until after 4 o'clock. Went downstairs once to make a sandwich, but thats' it. Yep you guessed it, it was one of those afternoon delight kinda Saturdays, where I got GUILTED INTO SPENDING 8 HOURS PEELING WALLPAPER!!!! And we still have 1/4 of the room left to finish. There's at least two layers on the wall, and the plaster behind is falling off in some areas. Its really a nightmare in our bedroom, like out of a horror flick, (whereas before it was a romantic comedy! cue the rim shot! thank you thank you, i'll be here all week, tip your waitress!)

The white is the plaster, the blues are wallpaper, and theres a top layer we already took down. I do my part to help too, its just that the wife never thinks to grab the camera and I'm really not able to take a picture of me scraping the wall..
So I think we're going to finish taking it down then replaster where need be and put a skim coat of on top of the entire wall surface area followed by painting it. I love old houses, I really do. I'll never buy something new, its just way too square for me and kinda Stepford-y (i never want to drive down the street and have all my neighbors houses look exactly like mine. i'm not smart enough to go in the right house everytime). Obviously, we still have quite a bit of work ahead of us, but we have nothing but time on our side, so its fine. We haven't decided on a paint color yet though, so if you have any ideas, feel free to let us know.
That night, we again decided to have a late dinner (8pm or so) and headed out. After a quick stop at the Texas Roadhouse (where there was a two hour wait), we moved on to the next restaurant, The 99. Say what you want about it, but its consistently good. We sat at the bar (the wife really liked it cuz their bar stools were padded with arms, so she didn't have to worry about falling off), got a couple of drinks each and had a really good dinner. After dinner we watched John Tucker Must Die. Those of you that know me, know that I love a good high school comedy. We really weren't expecting much, but it was actually really funny. Its your basic knock the high school jock down a few pegs, almost date him but end up dating his less cool younger brother and living happily ever after flick. Not exactly Citizen Kane, but its a movie and neither of us wanted to think, we just wanted to laugh and enjoy the show.
Sunday... well I really don't want to talk about the game.. but we had lots of people over, which was fantastic, and lots of good food too.
Tonight I went with the wife up to school (she had to use the computer lab for something real quick) then to Target. The Target part isn't important, but while at school some dude came down the street riding a unicycle. Not just a regular one either, he must have been 8 feet off the ground. It wasnt one of those olden times bikes with the HUGE front wheel and itsy bitsy back wheel either, it was just one big wheel with a seat and peddles. Bizarre...
This coming wknd, my parents and one of my brothers are coming up to visit. Can't wait. Funny huh, 10-15 years ago, I would have dreaded them visiting, now its the highlight of our month haha. We've made a lot of improvements to the house since they were last up, so I'm excited for them to see the changes. My brother hasn't seen the house yet, so it'll be nice to get his perspective on it. Its always fun, the first time someone sees the house in person, we always get the "wow, I can't believe you live here!", or "how many rooms are there!?". If you can't tell, I love my house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you used to DREAD your parents visiting?????????? nice to know....