Monday, March 24, 2008

Guess Who?

  • Ok, the picture quality isn't the best (1988 cheapo Mom camera + old scanner = grainy picture), but let's see who can guess who's in this picture. I'll give you a hint, that looker in the awesome shorts and Milton t-shirt would be me, after that, you're on your own. The guy in the knee high socks, pink polo shirt with the popped color, stylin' huh...

  • When I was younger (10 and 11) my parents sent me to this baseball camp in New Jersey. (my mom's friend was sending her son, a huge Yankees fan, so I got to go too) The first four days was the "father and son" portion of camp, after that the dads would leave and we'd spend the next week or so playing baseball etc. Part of the package was getting your own baseball card. This one was from my first year there, me and dad..
    Dad and I shared a card, gotta love how we somehow managed to balance the hat on our heads huh.
    Here's the back of the card. 4'10" and 92 pounds of pure muscle baby.. (that's me, not dad)
  • When I find one of the cards from my second year at the camp, I'll put that up too. That one is just me, no dad. Apparently I got too cool in a years time to have my father in the picture with me. The camp was great, lots of Yankee and Met "greats" hanging around, acting as instructors, along with a couple current players milling about. I remember being completely confused by a cheese steak, not knowing what the heck that was (umm hello, New Jersey, its called a steak and cheese!) loving the sliding drills (huge slip and slide type thing), learning I never wanted to be a catcher (one inning caught, more pitches bouncing off me rather than being caught and sweating like crazy in the equipment) and the allure of the girls tennis camp sharing dorms with us. Good times.
  • So the wife and I were talking today, and she pointed out how the phrase "being the bigger person" really didn't make much sense if taken literally. I agree. Why would you want to be the bigger person? That just leads to problems. If you're bigger like fatter, chances are you have high blood pressure, you're not in very good shape, can't find clothes that fit easily. none of these things are good. Or if you're bigger like taller, that has its hazards too. Constantly hitting your head on low hanging chandeliers, ducking thru every doorway, pants that are never long enough making it look like you're eagerly anticipating a flood at all times. No fun at all...
  • On ESPN.com, before the tournament started, you could enter your bracket online for prizes. Out of the 3.6 million brackets submitted, only 2, yes 2 people have all 16 teams left correct. That's amazing isn't it?
  • This is a fantastic idea! A lacrosse team in Denver is outdrawing the Avalanche and the Nuggets, and here's how... Apparently catering to the lowest common denominator works. Works for me at least..
  • Great clip of a hockey fight here. Around the 1:25 mark it gets really good..
  • Kids + snow + tv reporter = hilarity
  • Tried some new beers: 1. Newton's Folly - its a cider. Wasn't good, very watered down, tasted like juice. Don't bother trying it. The wife bought it last time we were at Trader Joe's. 2. Pennichuck Firehouse Red Ale - Good stuff. I'm a fan of the red ales though, so I'm a little biased. The other reviewers of this beer didn't like it all that much, but I did. It's definitely something I'd try again. 3. Harbor Lighthouse Ale - Local Maine brew. Very tasty I thought. Something I would definitely try again, and I would certainly like to try it from the tap. If anyone would like to try it let me know, I'll bring some down my next trip.

2 comments:

Rob said...

They couldn't come up with anything better for the back of your card than "Jason and his dad enjoy baseball"??
Isn't that kind of implied seeing as how you're at a baseball camp? Even saying you liked basketball would have at least told us SOMETHING new about you!

Anonymous said...

Love the old school pictures!

I was going to say the same thing as Rob about the back of the baseball card!