Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Weekend

So lets see. Friday night we did our now usual night of a movie and some apps. Tonight it was my turn to pick the movie (we rotate to ensure fairness), which means I got to drag the wife to see Semi-Pro, the new Will Ferrell movie. Really funny movie, but not nearly as funny as I thought it would be. Will Ferrell plus the 1970's plus basketball should equal hilarity, but they missed the mark. Lots of funny one liners, but it felt like they were just inserted, there wasn't a whole lot of flow to it. The theater was like 75% full and we were the second oldest people there, by far. (there was a couple my parents age sitting next to us) We got all the jokes, the other old couple got all the jokes, but most of the kids didn't. Apparently the 70's references and subsequent jokes went right over their collective heads. A Jackson Five joke, a Pong reference, stuff like that, the kids didn't have a clue that it was supposed to be funny.
After the movie, we hit Chili's for some food and drinks. They have two happy hours (neither of which is actually an hour), one running from 4-6 and the other from 9 to close, so a lot of the apps were half price and my beer was only $2 which made it that much better. A couple drinks, mini burgers, spinach & artichoke dip and some sesame chicken later, we went home full and content.
Saturday was spent working on the bedroom again (sometimes I feel like we're never going to finish that room) and we helped my uncle pick up his new tv. He got a new 46 inch lcd and its a thing of beauty. Since it was snowing so much, we took our car to pick it up (he has a pick up truck, but there's no way I'm going to risk that tv getting wet!) Afterwards we went to lunch at a local Mexican place. The wife and I hadn't been there before, but my uncle had. It was actually really tasty, which was a nice surprise considering the the last Mexican place we tried was completely void of taste. And they do take out, which was a very nice surprise. That night was watched the Bourne Ultimatum on OnDemand, which I will never use again because the movie wasn't shown in widescreen. I have a nice big tv, and there's no point in watching a movie if I'm not going to take advantage of it. The movie itself was really good though, but then again I liked the previous two too, so my opinion may be slightly biased.

Today was a good day. We didn't leave the house until 5:30 or so. Some of the day was spent blasting my music singing away, some spent working on the bedroom (not me, just the wife), some spent napping in front of the tv. Good times, great way to spend a Sunday. We did however, decide to go grocery shopping this evening. Now usually, I go alone and buy enough to get us through the week, buying minimal snack food and mostly stuff for lunches and dinners. Tonight, the wife came with me and lets just say it was a different kind of shopping. Pro: I didn't have to carry all the groceries into the house myself. Con: we shopped like we were stoned. Part of the problem was we didn't have dinner before we went, so we shopped hungry. That's a definite no-no. We bought the most random stuff, topped off by making pancakes for dinner. Growing up, this was a regular occurrence in my family, but the wife always had formal meals, so its still a treat for her to have something like this for dinner. (my buddy mike used to love coming over for dinner when we were little, cuz his mom would always make a real legit meal for dinner(usually some sort of casserole, remember him eating lots of casseroles for some reason), whereas whenever my mom would work late we'd have either pancakes or goulash for dinner. I loved it when mom worked haha)
As I type this, we're watching America's Funniest Home Video's. Tonight's show is using all animal clips, which of course is right up our alley. The only thing funnier than watching the stupid things animals do, is watching someone get hit in the groin. Getting hit in the groin is ALWAYS funny, unless of course its me being hit in the groin, then its not so funny. I'm also drinking a Bacardi Mojito drink. Go ahead, judge me, but I gotta tell you, its really good.
Randomness:
  • After every Celtics game, I pour over the box score. Am I the only one that still does this?I do the same thing with Red Sox games..
  • Went to the ATM the other day and it charged me $3 to take out money. $3!?!? Are you kidding me, how about I just give you my first born instead!
  • Busted out the Pancake Puff the other day. The wife made cake batter and used it to make cake puffs. Sooo good. The only problem is, I ate like 50 of them, which equaled 1/2 a cake. Straight to my thighs...
  • Went to Starbucks Saturday morning to get coffee. Why is it that my coffee is never hot, its always luke warm. I stand there and watch them make it in front of me, so I know its fresh, but its never hot. I don't get it.
  • We got about a foot of snow Saturday. Makes me happy cuz this will enable us to extend the snowmobiling season. Doesn't make me happy cuz I had to shovel.. three times. I find shoveling multiple times is easier than shoveling all at once at the end. There's not as much snow, obviously, so its not as heavy, which reduces the wear and tear on the back. I think one of these days I'm going to have to fake throw out my back to convince the wife to buy a snow blower. Just don't tell her I said that :)
  • This article was interesting. Its all about how sex is becoming more and more popular in China, that people don't have to hide the fact that they're doing it anymore. Umm, there's like eleventy billion people in the country, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that there's a couple people doing the hibidy dibidy over there.
  • Good win by the Celtics tonight. They seemed a little lackadaisical, but they always have trouble with the young athletic teams. It was just one of those games you have to fight through to get the win. They did a good job rebounding the ball which is crucial for this team to win. You can't afford to give hungry teams 2nd and 3rd chances off missed shots.
  • I think I'm becoming obsessed with ring tones. I haven't purchased anything new lately, but I'm constantly searching through my phone for something new and hopefully amusing. I think I'm part 14 year old or something.

No comments: