Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Weekend...Or At Least The First Half

So we decided to do our usual Friday activity last night, dinner and a movie, but this time we kicked it old school, going all 19th century style! Dinner at our local Public House and a night at the theater. The local Bangor community theater troupe put on a production of Little Shop of Horrors. Now, I haven't seen the movie since it first came out way back in 1986or so I didn't exactly remember all the specifics of the plot and whatnot. I gotta say, I was thoroughly impressed with the show. The theater was tiny, probably 1/2 the size of my old high school auditorium, the band played a little too loud at times so you couldn't always hear the singing, but the price was right ($15 or $30 for tix, we chose the $30 tix) for 5th row center seats. The snobby wife didn't enjoy it as much as I did, me thinks her posh Newton upbringing skewed her idea on community theater. I think she was expecting better production values or something out of the Globe Theater or straight off Broadway. I on the other hand, can't wait to see whats playing next.
While we were at dinner, at my favorite local pub Cristor's, we got to talking with the bartender. Cristor's used to have an upstairs and a downstairs, but they recently closed the downstairs for renovation. Apparently, they're changing things up a little. They're turning downstairs into a martini bar. I can't wait. Upstairs will still be the pub with beer etc, and downstairs will specialize in martini's and wine. Pretty much the same menu will be available at both sites. The new restaurant is scheduled to open in a couple weeks, and you know we'll be there to try it out.
Today, we decided to make the trek 50 miles south to the Fairfield Antiques Mall. Its basically a ginormous antiques store. We aren't really looking for one thing in particular, but we do have a bunch of things on our list that we wouldn't mind buying if we found exactly what we're looking for (bedside tables, living room side table,etc) After two hours plus in the store (it really is huge) we finally left, purchasing only six books. Four were history books from the 1800's ( I collect them) and the other two were first edition 1919 Bobbsey Twins books the wife picked up. Good stuff all around.
On the way home, we hit Target (not a weekend goes by that we're not there. It's like our Mecca) and one of the local furniture stores which is having a big sale. I've decided I'm not allowed to go in furniture stores anymore because I always walk out ticked that I can't buy my recliners I want. Ahhh the elusive recliner, its the white whale to my Ahab. Always just out of my reach, destined to never enter my house.
Tonight, we're just staying in, watching a movie or some old recorded tv we need to catch up on (New Amsterdam and Reaper specifically) and tomorrow night I'm going to the Celtics game with Dad and my two brothers. Can't wait. They're playing a horrible team, but it'll be fun just to go to a game this year. This is the first year in a while that I haven't been to multiple games. Stupid commute. I'm thinking about next year, maybe finding someone to split a 12 game package or something like that with. We'll see...

No comments: