Thursday, August 21, 2008

Links And Then Some

So I thought that this was interesting. Since we moved to Maine last year, this is actually something that the wife and I have noticed. When we hit the mall, or Target or any public place really, we notice that there tend to be a lot of bigger people out and about. Never mind the fact that you never see runners or people out for a walk. We go for a walk after work whenever we can and we NEVER see other people out walking…Its like the whole fitness thing hasn’t made it's up here yet..

This is my new favorite McCain story. He not only doesn’t know the price of a gallon of gas, but now he can’t remember how many houses he has. This says one of two things to me: either he’s too rich to care, or too old to remember, both aren’t good things. Remember though, he’s a man of the people! Well, at least a man of the Hamptons..


As my lovely wife said “Road trip to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!!!! Geez, there’s a phrase I never thought I’d say.” Now who’s in? This looks like it would be so much fun, just don’t get in the way of one. I think I’d opt for the water logged version. Being strapped in makes me think I’d end up getting really really dizzy which would lead me to get really really sick. So instead of swirling around in some water, I’d be swirling around in lunch…

This story brought back some memories.. Who doesn’t remember those Little League days, when as a 4 foot nuthin, 70 something pound who excelled at bunting and little else (at the time that is. By the time high school rolled around I would excel at infield chatter while on jv and riding the bench for the varsity) would stride to the plate to face Matt Jewel, praying to any god that would listen not to get killed.. Man, those were good times…

Anyone else out there watching the Olympics at all? I’m not really into it (after seeing athletes get completely hosed in the “judged” competitions, I’m more sure than ever that any judged activity is not a sport. Simple as that. When the outcome is out of your hands and in the hands of an “impartial” judge, then its not a sport, it’s a pageant. Sure these people are amazing athletes, but it still doesn't make it a sport.


Anyway, when did ping pong become an Olympic sport? Or maybe the question should be, why did ping pong become an Olympic sport? And what about BMX racing? I’m not sure the Greeks had this in mind.

So yesterday we threw a big party at work for all the residents. Basically the staff cooks hamburgers, hot dogs and other bbq type food for the residents. We also have karaoke, games with prizes and things like that. Well yesterday was crazy. Normally a certain person at work (not me) would handle all the party planning and mc'ing etc, but that person recently left and we haven't filled the position yet. So that left everything to me. However, my lovely wife was kind enough to come in and give us a hand. You'd be amazed at how many of my residents kept saying that Sarah doesn't look old enough to be my wife. Does that mean she looks young, or do I look old? The party went really well though, I only had to sing a couple of karaoke songs (old time rock and roll by bob seger and the locomotion.. and yes, i'm a horrible singer) and everyone enjoyed all the prizes.. good times were had by all...

3 comments:

Cleaty said...

You should check out the more traditional, non-judged sports like track and field and swimming. I particularly recommend you check out the men's 100 and 200 m dashes. Bolt is unbelievably fast. Andy thinks he should go to the NFL.

eileen said...

Agreed- Bolt is a speed freak, in a good way.

However, I love that the Locomotion was one of your karaoke choices. It's as easy as A B C.

Anonymous said...

I'd go with the your old idea