Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Weekend

Very good, productive weekend all around. Friday night we went to a friends wedding. Turns out, it was a Maine wedding and no one told us. We had a great time, and it was great seeing her get married, but we were a tad over dressed. She wore a summer wedding dress and the groom wore a tux, but the guests all wore their finest bbq attire. I of course was in my suit (when else do I get a chance to wear it) and my lovely wife wore one of her little black cocktail dresses. At the end of the night she said to me, "I was getting dirty looks from all the other women all night", to which I responded, "Yeah I noticed, but that's because their wives all look shluppy and you look better than all of them plus you don't have a kid on each hip". Mean yes, but true...We were home by 8, and playing Wii by 8:15.. sad, but lots of fun.

Saturday was spent in the yard cleaning up. If you remember when we first moved in, our yard looked like this...
Kind of a mess, completely overgrown, weeds everywhere. Well after this...
Ripping everything up and starting from scratch... it's much better now. We decided this weekend to take the remaining bricks from the front wall and build a raised planter in the backyard against the fence.
The wall is three bricks high(about 18 inches) and looks very unimpressive right now because we need to buy 7-8 yards of dirt to fill it up. Maybe next weekend, we'll see. But you've gotta trust me on this one, it really looks good in the yard, and it'll help cover the gap at the bottom of our neighbors fence.

That night, we went to the American Folk Festival downtown. We went last year, but went later in the evening so we didn't really get to see a whole lot. This time we went around six, and had dinner there, which was great for me, not so great for the wife (who knew eating a lobster roll from a booth at an all weekend festival would prove to be a horrendously bad idea). The music was great, we saw a bluegrass band and a group of gospel singers and they were both really good. But the best part of the night.. the funnel cakes. Really, it doesn't get any better. The yumminess of fried dough, but sooo much easier to eat without making a mess. I challenge you to name a tastier food than friedness and sugar! Not one exists I assure you!

Sunday, we got the bright idea to try to move a very large rose bush from the back of the house to the front of the house...It's not a very good picture, but you can see the bush (tied up) to the right of my lovely wife..
We spent a great deal of time trying to clear some of the smaller weeds/plants away from the base of the bush to make it easier to move...
Well, after digging the hole in the front of the house... we gave up. The network of roots just made it impossible to dig by the bush so its now part of our compost pile. I hated cutting it down, but it was just so overgrown.

On a lighter note... two weeks I had a physical, got weighed and didn't like the result, I was getting fat. Two weeks ago we also started going for more walks and purchased the Wii. In the past two weeks, I'm down seven pounds, coincidence? I think not...

Nothing much going on this weekend, just trying to make it thru to next weekend really. Labor day.. no plans, just the usual stuff around the house. Three glorious work free days, I can't wait. This is a great time in Maine, everyday (when it's not raining of course) is 75-80 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and no humidity, really the perfect weather if you ask me. So hopefully it'll hold up thru Sept, when the family comes back up.

No comments: