Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Weekend

Well, before we get started, I would just like to throw a HUGE congratulations out there to my brother M. He finally had the guts to propose to his fantastic girlfriend. Jessie, I hope you know what you're getting into! But congratulations guys, good luck planning the wedding..

Weekend was good, my parents game up to visit which is always fun. Friday night we just went to a local brew pub for dinner, then home to watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I'm not a huge fan of the games, but I was outnumbered so I had no choice. The opening ceremonies were really impressive, the amount of synchronization was amazing, but they were too long for my liking. Now comes two plus weeks of events, most of which I have no real interest in.

Saturday we introduced my parents to the Wii. Surprisingly enough, they both picked it up pretty quickly, although I think my mom pulled a muscle bowling. Later that afternoon, dad and I went golfing with my uncle while mom and the wife went shopping. I played my best round of the summer, which was nice. And that night we went over to my other uncles house for a cook out. Whenever those Morrissey brothers get together, hilarity ensues. All the old stories come out and everyone always leaves sore from all the laughing.

Today, after my parents left, we hung out and discussed baby names. Soooo many to choose from. And you've gotta be careful what you choose, because a child's name can limit their future employment opportunities. For instance, if you name her daughter after a mineral (i.e. crystal), you might as well enroll her in dance classes now, because she's going to be a stripper. Certain names just invoke certain images don't they? Maybe it's because you went to high school with a girl named Becky, and she was easy, so you can't name your kid Becky now. Or maybe you had a hardass of a boss named Bob, so you can't name your kid Bob now either. We have a couple of pretty good ideas so far, but we're not going to tell anyone what they are. People can judge us after it's official and legal, but not a second before.

Speaking of kids, all of our required forms have been mailed out, so we're just waiting for the agencies used to do their part. Hopefully it won't take too too long. This whole process is all about waiting I guess. Waiting for the paperwork, waiting for the ok from the social worker, waiting to be picked by a birth mother, waiting for the baby to be born, waiting for the legal grace period to conclude, then finally coming home. I love talking about it though, because for the most part, everyone is very excited for us. Some have seemed a little confused as to why we're adopting, but like my grandmother said, (paraphrasing) if they don't support our choices, then we really don't need them in our life. (which is true in this situation, but if we were choosing to do crack, i think i'd still need them around haha)

And finally, remember a while ago I mentioned that I was going to be a godfather to my cousins baby? Well, she's due this week!!!! No idea what the sex is yet, as they want it to be a surprise, but that's ok, as long as it's healthy that's all that matters right! So good luck Lisa, and remember to breathe!

No comments: