Monday, December 10, 2007

Randomness

Two new beers:
Weyerbacher Winter Ale. Very tastey, but those of you who read on a regular basis know that I really enjoy the weyerbacher brand. Goes down smooth, brewed with a chocolate malt, but its not overly chocolately. I highly recommend it. I'd give it a sold 8 on the jayscale. For comparison sake, it is similar to Sam Adams winter ale.
Sebago Slick Nick Winter Ale. There was nothing really wrong with this beer, but there was nothing calling me back for seconds either. If I saw it on tap at a bar, I'd give it another whirl, but otherwise I doubt I'll be buying a six pack anytime soon. Nothing special either way about it, so I'll give it a 6.5.
So my pick to win it all was eliminated from The Amazing Race last night. My 2nd and 3rd place finishers are still in the race though. Overall, the show has been entertaining this year, but there are far too many scenes in airports where everyone is just sitting around waiting for the ticket offices to open. More action, less sitting please! And my offer still stands, anyone want to go on the show with me?!?!?
One of those Kay Jewelers commercials came on the other day, and I turned to my lovely wife and said, "I can't wait for the day when I'm rich enough that I don't have to put any thought into a gift for you and I can just go out and buy you some diamonds. Because I don't do that, I actually have to put real thought into your gifts, and thinking isn't my strong suit." She agreed, but mostly cuz what girl doesn't like diamonds. It drives me crazy though how all these commercials show people buying people bling for xmas, when that requires zero thought, just a platinum card. I work hard trying to pay attention and get my wife what she wants. Sure this is the opinion of a poor man who usually fails at purchasing the perfect gift, but so what! And yes, when I am rich, I will buy her diamonds.
Speaking of gifts, you know who I'd like to thank? The person that invented the grab. I have basically four gifts I'm responsible for. One for my brother M(who I have in the grab for my side of the family), one for lovely mother in law (who I have in the wife's side of the family grab), the wife of course and my parents. All the grabs (including the wife and I) have a monetary limit, so I don't have to worry about people spending too much on me either. And with the few gifts I do have to get, I can really put some thought into each of them, and hopefully get the person something really worthwhile. To me, Christmas is really about the kids and I can't wait to someday spoil ours, but right now its really about seeing all the family and friends we don't get to see that often now that we've moved. Sounds sappy, but that's the way it is. I'd much rather have a beer and watch the Celtics with my dad then have him (or more likely my mom) worry about what to get me or visa verse ya know. That sounded kinda preachy huh, sorry about that I didn't mean for it to come across that way. Basically what I'm saying is that they best part of the holiday's is seeing and spending some quality time with everyone, especially those we don't get to see very often. Gifts are great, but its the joking around and laughing and rehashing old stories that have been told a million times, and hearing new stories for the first time that I look forward to the most.
So I tried making an apple tart type thingy tonight. Presentation wasn't all that great but it tasted pretty darn good. Sugar and water mixed together in a cast iron pan. Butter added eventually to get a carmel sauce. Add some chopped up apples, cover with a piece of pie crust just big enough to cover the apples and throw it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. When the pie crust is brown, take it out (now here's the tricky part) and flip the tart onto a plate. There was some spilling, but I was at least smart enough to flip over the sink. Like I said, it tasted very yummy (and the wife agreed), but it lacked proper presentation.
And finally, the brother in law is arriving via bus tomorrow for a couple of days. Should be a good time. We'll drag him around town to see the sights, maybe over for a bit to play on the snowmobiles, we'll see.

No comments: