Monday, December 3, 2007

Well the weather outside is frightful...

Well, here we are at 8pm..
The snow started around 6am, and is supposed to end sometime tomorrow. They're predicting another 6-10 inches, so it shouldn't be too bad. So far I've shoveled 3 times, but that's because I like to try to stay ahead of the snow. In my opinion, shoveling 5 inches at a time is much easier than shoveling 15 at once.
So we closed our office early, and when I got home we took Princess to the vet. She hasn't been feeling well lately so the wife wanted to make sure everything was ok. (it seems to be) After the vet, we went home, I made dinner (boneless pork ribs cooked on top of the stove, in wine, garlic, salt & pepper; peas, and carrots in a butter & brown sugar sauce) Yummy if I do say so myself. Half way thru dinner we got a call from uncle D, asking if we wanted to come over and try out the snowmobiles. File that under DUH! Of course we did. So we inhaled our food, thru on as many layers of clothing as possible and headed over...
So we went riding down in the pit behind their house. Lots of fun. Those things have some giddy-up to them, that's for sure. I really really really wanted to open it up, but it was pretty dark so I'll wait until I can see better and actually know what I'm doing first. The fastest we hit was about 30 miles per hour, but it feels like you're going so much faster.
Needless to say, I need a snowmobile now.

That's me on my cousin's sled (they call them sled's up here)
Here's cousin D with the wife on the back(my wife of course, not his. he's 12, that would just be silly). He's driving uncle D's sled as it has a higher weight capacity (for two people). We had a great time, and after an hour or so we called it a night and headed home. (one of the neat little extra's on the sled, there are hand warmers in the handle bars, so as you drive it keeps your hands warm. how cool is that? its the little things, it really is.) The also have plastic sleds that you tie to the back of the snowmobile, so you get dragged around. Sorta like tubing on water, only you're in the snow and there are trees and whatnot.

I took this pic earlier in the evening, so you could get a better look at the house with the lights. There will be more lights next year, don't you worry. Like I said earlier, Princess hasn't been feeling well. This pic is for all you crazy in-laws out there. Lucy (the kitten) has been spending a lot of time with her. I think its cuz Princess is fat, and Lucy isn't, so she stays close for warmth.
Just a couple of random thoughts before I let you go

  • In the snow, momentum up a hill is your friend. Down a hill, not so much.
  • I really need some sort of ear protection. My head just looks silly in a stocking cap (I've got a really large and odd shaped head, you all know this though). I think I need to buy one of those things that wraps around the back of your head and covers your ears. I also need to buy a pair of good gloves. All I really have is my leather pair which look nice, but don't really keep my hands warm.
  • Wearing cuffed pants in the snow is a no-no. Snow gets in the cuffs and you end up dragging it all over the house.
  • I love our new car. It handles so well in the snow. Other cars may cost more or be bigger or whatever, but I'm really glad we bought this one.
  • Book review (courtesy of Phil): The Rescue Artist. Its all about the search for the painting The Scream. Very entertaining read throughout. It discusses other stolen art cases and goes into the background of the paintings etc. The wife is reading it now, and she seems to be enjoying it to, but I'm sure she'll tell you about it when she's done.

1 comment:

eileen said...

Phil lent me that book, too. I really liked it and normally I'm not a big fan of non-fiction.