Monday, March 2, 2009

Book Review

So the wife loves the library. She's there once a week, and comes home with more books than she can carry. Being unemployed, she has plenty of time to read...

The other day, she finished a book and recommended that I read it. The book, The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend And I Decided To Get Pregnant, is about a couple in Seattle who decide to adopt (the author wrote it about his and his boyfriends experience back in the 90's). In case you couldn't tell from the title, the couple in question are gay. The author is a sex advice columnist and it shows in some of his writing in a very funny way. So right off the bat, not all their experiences are the same as ours, but I've gotta say that the majority of the book was dead on. The first sixty or so pages were more or less about them being gay and the concerns that come along with that and adopting (will they not get picked because of it, etc), but once you get through that part, it's really an accurate description of what the wife and I have gone through, are going through and will go through (hopefully). It's a quick read, only about 250 pages, but if any of you were wondering what it's like to be us, then I'd recommend it.

Not all their experiences will parallel ours, but the overall feel of the book was fun. It's good to know that we're not the only ones out there feeling the way we do about the whole situation. And by that I mean still jumping everytime the phone rings...

1 comment:

eileen said...

Dan Savage is hilarious- I'm sure it's a great book.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you :)