Friday, March 27, 2009

Date One

On this day seven years ago, my lovely wife and I went out on our very first date. Actually, we’re still not sure if it was an actually a date or not, so we only kinda sorta count it.

It started out with me coming into work that morning, and her telling me that she and her boyfriend had broken up. Sad news huh, not really. So I did what I thought was best, I lied. I sent her an email stating that my friend Sue and I were going to go to the movies that night, but Sue just cancelled because she was going to be stuck at work. Obviously, I asked Sarah if she’d like to go…

And who can say no to my charms over email…

That evening after work, I arrived at her apartment to pick her up. As I get out of the car, I notice the very distinct smell of gas. When I looked over at the house, she was walking very quickly towards me with a concerned look on her face. She walked up to me, said “Hi, I need a hug” and hugged me. I did what any guy would do, panicked and gave her a one armed hug because she caught me completely off guard.

Turns out, the knucklehead who installed the new hot water heater in the basement didn’t tighten everything properly, thus the gas leak. Once the situation was under control and the proper authorities alerted (landlord etc) we headed out to the movies.

E.T. was on the docket. They had just re-released it, and neither of us had seen it since we were kids, so we figured why not. After a nice walk around the Common, we headed into the theater for the movie.

The rest of the night was pretty much a normal evening. I drove her home, and that was that. No kiss, which leads us to believe it wasn’t a real date, just a predate…

I’ll tell you what though, I went home pretty darn happy. This girl who was way out of my league liked me, and wanted to go out again. Holy Crap! So what did I do? I broke every rule in the guy handbook. I went out with her again the next night…

Tune in tomorrow for Date 2…

1 comment: