Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Back in MA

Good evening folks, we're coming to you LIVE from my little brother's spare bedroom! Well maybe not so much little brother anymore, as he's taller than me, as is my other little brother, so hows about I go with younger from now on.
So I'm in Boston for a training class this week. Man, have I missed the city. The random homeless people talking to themselves, the fresh smell of dried pee in the train station and the hustle and bustle of thousands of people rushing to work in the morning. Can't beat it... wait a second.. yes you can, its called Maine!
While here, instead of putting me up in a hotel, my cheap company said, "you can just stay with family right?" Luckily my brother and his wonderful girlfriend have been kind enough to let me stay with them. I'm very impressed with their house, they've (and by they've I mean Jessie) really done a great job decorating and furnishing the place. They also have a new puppy, she's only 4 months old and still trying to figure out the world. She's very cute, but she's going to be HUGE someday (Burmese mountain dog i think). They've also got one of the most comfortable guest beds around. Sorry wifey, we might have to ditch your parents and start staying here when we come down :)
Ok, back to my HUD training class. Tedious stuff really, so I won't bore you with the details. I have noticed, however, that I seem to work in a very female dominated field. There's around 60 people in the class, and maybe 7-8 guys. I observed this when I worked at my last job too. Most property managers tend to be female. I've thought about it, and I'm not really sure why either. Might be just one of those things. The class is very casual, which makes it slightly less painless. Its a course on the HUD handbook for low income housing, and people keep asking "why" something is, trying to make sense of a HUD rule or somehow trying to find the logic in it. People... its a government agency. There is no why and there certainly isn't any logic involved. It is what it is, and there's nothing you can do to change it, so don't even worry about it. Have you ever noticed though, that its always the stupid people who feel the need to shout out the answers. They're never right, but for some reason they think they know everything and need to let everyone else know that they know everything. In a setting like this though, I just keep my head down, do my work, and hopefully pass the test Friday with flying colors.
Alrighty, bed time. I still haven't adjusted to this daylight savings thing...

No comments: