Monday, November 12, 2007

Start of yet another week

So, usual busy crazy day at work.. then the fun begins. Tonight was one of those nights where I actually really realized that I am now in Maine, and here's why. I decide to go hit a couple of stores to buy my lovely wife some birthday presents. First store, Target, not so much for the gift, but for cat food, juice and a new xbox game. (plus at Target, who knows, there's always the possibility of finding the perfect gift there) Cat food, check. Juice, check. Xbox game, no check. Yep, they were out of the game I wanted. When I leave the store, there's a guy just standing in the middle of the parking lot, looking all disheveled, wearing an eye patch, just staring/watching everyone leave the store. Creepy. Not saying that that wouldn't happen in MA, but it felt very Maine. (maybe it was the subfreezing temperature, or all the ME license plates that influenced my thinking at the time.) Off to the next store. Circuit City. They too are out of the xbox game I want. Frustration starting to set in. Off to store numbers 3 and 4 for m'lady's gift. Nada and zipo. No luck. Next stop, the mall. There's one particular store I'm looking for, but of course the closest one is Augusta. Problem. Augusta is far, and I'm really lazy, not a combination suited for productivity. So I resign myself to shopping the best way I know how. On the internet. You see, back in Boston I had my 3-4 "go to" stores I would shop in to buy the wife gifts. Well those stores don't exist up here, so it has totally thrown me off my game. I need to adapt, survival of the fittest right? (again, thank god for the internet) On the way home, I call call the wife and she asks me to pick up McDonald's, and I offer to get her an Orange Julius, since I'm already in the mall. I get delayed buying her smoothy due to the newbie behind the counter flirting with the 16 year old in line in front of me, then by him flirting with his 17 year old boss. (I'm of course guessing on the ages, as I didn't actually ask any of them for ID) Upon successfully purchasing Sarah's pomegranate smoothie, I head to McDonald's. Because I'm feeling lazy, I use the drive-thru (I never use the drive thu, cuz like Joe Pesci says, you get effed at the drive-thru!) Of course after I pay, they tell me my order will be another 5 minutes so can I please pull over and wait. (apparently ordering snack wraps is a rarity and they had to cook them from scratch) I misunderstand the girl in the window, and thinking she's trying to get me to take a survey or something (she asked me if I had 5 extra minutes to spare) and tell her no, I don't have 5 spare minutes and would like my food now. Yep, I was that guy. Rude at the drive thru. She then clarifies, and I apologize hoping to avoid getting my food spit in. Seven minutes later, my food arrives, I check it for items I didn't purchase (i.e. spit) and drive off. So basically, I just had one of those nights. I absolutely love living in Maine, but this was the first time that not having all the conveniences of Boston that I'm used to having really frustrated me. I learned a lesson though. Amazon.com is your friend.
On a lighter note, a Papa John's is opening up down the street. I've never had it, but have been seeing the commercials for years. Anyone ever have it? Is it any good? It's owned by the same guy that used to own Pizza Hut, and Pizza Hut, although known for its breakthrough's in pizza technology, is not really known for its quality in pizza.
Also watched two of the best shows on tv tonight, How I Met Your Mother and Heroes. Can't go wrong with either, and I highly recommend them both.
How often do you think CNN and others pull stunts like this?
And for you cat lovers...yes, there are three of them there, piled on top of the wife who's studying (and threatened me with bodily harm if she was in the picture) They normally don't all get along quite that well, but its effing cold out and not quite as cold, but chilly nonetheless, in our house. So they need to huddle together for warmth.

1 comment:

Cleaty said...

Great picture! When it's cold, all kitties start getting along, or at least tolerating each other.

Another thing you'll probably discover about living in the middle of nowhere or in Maine, is that stuff isn't open all the time. Like they are not open for some holidays like Easter.

I would pick Papa John's pizza over all the chain pizzas out there. So I recommend it.