Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Weekend

So this weekend the in-laws came up to visit, for the second time. Great time was had by all, or at least they led me to believe that they had fun.
Friday I got back around 5 from Boston, and they were already here. So we hung out, caught up and eventually had dinner which was a chicken pot pie the little lady made. Part of the fun of hanging out with the parents/in-laws is the after dinner conversation. Whether its my parents or Sarah's parents, we always have a great time. Lots of good stories and lots of laughing.
After dinner, in order to celebrate some good news (Sarah's dad is going to teach in Venice for a semester, spring '09), we cracked a bottle of champagne. And believe it or not, the tv wasn't on the entire evening. I think that's a first for me..
Saturday, I went to work for a couple of hours so Sarah took her parents to see the UMaine campus. When they got back, we went to Nicky's Diner for lunch. The best part about diner's, breakfast all day. Their food is actually really good. (we had everything from pancakes to a buffalo meat burger) It seems that when we have guests, we take them to Nicky's for a meal. After lunch, we headed to Home Depot, yep that's right, Home Depot. Sarah and I have been putting off winterizing the house, so we figured nows as good of a time as any. FIL(father-in-law) and I headed off to find window locks while Sarah and her mom looked at the paint selections (I've never understood how people can spend so much time staring at the colors. You see something you like, you go with it. That's how I roll) After some winterizing and a screening of The Birds we headed out to dinner.
Dinner was at a neat little restaurant called Christor's. Its this cool little irish bar/restaurant in downtown Bangor. They have a good menu (everybodys favorites to selections for the daring), and a large beer selection (10 beers on tap, maybe another 50 in bottle). After some more good food/drink and conversation we headed home. It was freezing that night too, like 27 degrees freezing. I don't think I'm ready for winter at this point, but I really don't have a choice huh. The cold is definitely here and here to stay. (one of Sarah's flower pots outside is currently frozen solid)
Sunday was spent on the couch, raking lots and lots of leaves and painting some the windows in the "library". Pretty productive day all around. Funny line of the day, as I'm watching football and a Peyton Manning commercial comes on, my lovely wife says, "When does he have time to play football? Does he sell everything? He's in every commercial!" Very astute observation from someone who never watches football, yet knows exactly who Manning is due to the plethora of commercials he's in.
Stayed tuned for my Amazing Race write up later this evening..
New beer tasted:
Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA. Really good stuff. 9%apv, very very hoppy. Overall, I'd give it a 8 on the jayscale. Went down smooth, dark amber in color. It was served to me in a brandy snifter type glass, which thru me off, but we figured it was because of the high alcohol content. I'd highly recommend it.
DogFish Head Festina Peche. As my lovely wife said, "it tastes like they crossed a Clearly Canadian and beer." The first thing you taste is the peach. Didn't really have any of the characteristics of a beer, except that they both have alcohol (4.5%apv). It almost felt like a cider going down. Overall, its a once in a blue moon kinda drink, so I'd give it a 6. Not horrible, but I wouldn't have more than one at a time.

No comments: