Monday, January 28, 2008

6 Days and Counting..

So remember the other day I mentioned how the wife was tearing apart our bedroom walls? Well, here's the proof..
See the nice ugly wallpaper? It's gotta go right. And yes, we need a better tv stand, and again, those are indian shutters, which are the best thing ever. They keep the cold out, and on those mornings you want to sleep in, they keep all the light out.
That, my friends, is whats underneath. The part on the left is original horsehair plaster, and you can actually see all the horsehair. The blue is a layer that was put on before the outside wallpaper and it really has no interest in coming down. We've got a pretty big bedroom, so this should be fun to say the least..
  • So I'm driving home from work today for lunch and this SUV takes a right on red out of a parking lot cutting me off. As it heads toward the next light, it begins swerving back and forth in and out of both lanes. I'm thinking, ok he's hammered, not good, but at least its noon. When they finally settle into one lane, I see what it is.. it's a lady on a cell phone trying desperately to light her cigarette.
    Now one of the many benefits of moving to Maine is that my road rage has dissipated to a degree where it is nonexistent. No more yelling at other drivers, while my poor, yet tolerant wife rolls her eyes at me. Well I'll tell you, it's a good thing the rage is gone. I couldn't believe this lady. Its like she had no idea that there are other cars on the road.. amazing really.
  • Tough loss by the Celtics yesterday. Fun game to watch, they played hard, but just seemed to run out of steam at the end. Any time a team beats you with a fall away 3-pointer all you can do is give them their props and move on.
  • I got confirmation today that my youngest brother will be coming up with my parents to visit. I couldn't be more excited, and its weird, because I've never really been excited to see my brothers before. I suppose the last time I was, was at my wedding. Them cracking jokes and making fun of me really helped me relax , because everyone knows that making nervous jokes really doesn't make the minister or bride to be all that happy (one of them also dispensed the most crucial advice of the night, don't lock your knees while standing. Apparently it prohibits blood flow, which you kinda need if you want to remain standing. So thanks for that Matt). It's weird not seeing them all that often now that I've moved. I talk to all my friends a lot on email, but they all have jobs where they can email during the day. My brothers don't play on email nearly as much as me (then again, who does), and I'm not really a phone guy, so I don't get to talk to them all that often. So it'll be nice to see whomever comes up.
  • 3 hour snow mobile rides are fun and all.. but my jacket still smells like exhaust. I'm gonna have to Frebreeze the heck out of it tonight. Speaking of Frebreeze, what a great product. I remember years ago spraying Lysol out of the aerosol can and it was so strong you couldn't get the taste out of your mouth for days. You'd walk into a room and it would be like walking into a mountain mist scented wall. No more. Our friends at Frebreeze figured out that aerosol wasn't the way to go and put it in a spray bottle. And to top it off, their product actually works! But I digress...
  • Two book reviews:
    1. Marketing Your Dreams by Pat Williams. What a book. A friend sent it to me, and I plowed thru it in no time, and I highly recommend it to you too. The book is about finding a job that you love. I know, I know, sounds impossible right, but apparently its not. Here's the thing though, the author uses his mentor Bill Veeck as the examples. Bill Veeck was a great baseball man, owned a bunch of teams in the 60's-70's-80's. LOVED baseball. Worked his way up thru the ranks to eventually own teams, major league and minor league. So there's a lot of baseball in the book, but for someone like me, thats a good thing. Its basically all sorts of tips on living life and working, and being successful. Very well written and almost depressing and uplifting at the same time because his case study is a man who loved his life and work which is great, yet most of us will never be as happy in work as he was...

    2. Born Standing Up by Steve Martin. The book is all about his life from age 20 or so up until he started making movies 15 or so years later. Quick easy read, but a lot of fun, lots of laugh out loud moments. Again, if you're looking for a fun read I definitely recommend it.

    Next up, Triumph by Jeremy Schaap. Its the story of Jesse Owens and Hitler Olympics...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have a LOT of work ahead of you!!! ah.....the joys of an old house.......
oh yah, just want to make sure you have NO plans to include us in the 'fun' of stripping wallpaper when we come visit!!!!