Saturday, January 26, 2008

Top Songs of the 90's

So VH1 is running a show where they count down the top 100 songs of the 90's. The wife and I caught the top 40 or so, and around 30 I started to keep track.. So here are our thoughts..
29. Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice: This song is borderline iconic. No way it should be this far down the list, top 10 definitely.
28. Ricky Martin - Livin La Vida Loca: At the time, everyone loved it. Now, not so much. Although he did single handily usher in the short lived era of latin music in the U.S.
27. Counting Crows - Mrs. Jones: Who didn't own this cd. I think its our generations version of Peter Frampton Comes Alive. It was basically issued to you if you lived in the suburbs. And another thing, how did the lead singer (Adam Duritz) end up dating so many hot women? The man looks like Side Show Bob..
26. Eminem - Slim Shady: Where did he disappear to?
25. Sound Garden - Black Hole Sun: This song has no business being in the top 25. The wife had never even heard it before.
24. House of Pain - Jump Around: this song got me dancing at high school dances. I couldn't dance, so wouldn't dance, but then this came out. All you have to do is jump, how easy is that. Its about this point I realized that girls like guys that are willing to make fools of themselves trying to dance.
23. Salt n' Pepa - What a man: I used to know all the words to it. Perhaps the first song ever by a girl band praising a guy, and not ripping him a new one.
22. Beck - Loser: loved it when it came out. could only understand one out of every 10 words, and he's now apparently a devote Scientologist (crazy).
21. Celine Dion- My heart will go on: That song from Titanic. Nobody likes Celine Dion, and this song just made our hatred worse. Although it is the best ballad written about drowning.
20. Hanson - Mmm Bop: C'mon, you know you loved it. Admit it, its a catchy tune. And until you found out they were 3 brothers and not sisters, you kinda thought the middle one was cute..wait, never mind..
19. Beastie Boys - Sabotage: One of the best video's of the decade.
18. Metalica - Enter Sandman: Good song, great entrance music for your local 9's closer.
17. Destinys Child - Say my name: There were 4 girls in the group at the time, 2 left, one more joined. Do you think the 2 that left are still kicking themselves?
16. MC Hammer - Can't touch this: Again, everyone loved this song, and you still know all the words.
15. Red Hot Chilly Peppers - Under the Bridge: Not much to say on this one. Liked the song, top 15 of the decade... not in my book.
14. Mariah Carey - Vision of Love: I admit it, at the time I owned like 7 Mariah cd's. I dont know what was wrong with me, but i've since been fixed. But of all her songs, this is the one that makes the top 15?
13. Dr.Dre & Snoop -Ain't Nothing but a G thing: Ahh, remember those good times, sitting around playing Sega (NHL 94 preferably), listening to The Chronic, thinking we were all cool as white kids in the suburbs? good times..
12. Alanis Morrisette -You outta know: This song still scares me. it made all girls angry, and thats never a good thing.
11. Pearl Jam - Jeremy: GREAT song. loved it, although they went seriously down hill fast after this album.
10. Sinead O'Connor -Nothing Compares to you: can't stand her, not a fan of the song really
9. REM - Losing My Religion: I remember being over my friend Mike's house when this video came on MTV. His mom came into the room and said that she really liked this song. After watching the video, she decided that she didn't like it anymore. Still its catching, and everyone knows the words.
8. TLC - Waterfalls: this song was huge the summer of my senior year, 1995. It was on the radio every 10 minutes, and i did in fact have the cd. Everytime I hear it, it makes me think of that summer, good times.
7. Britney Spears - Hit me baby one more time: I remember coming home and my brother Steve telling me I had to watch TRL to see this video when it came on. She was only 16 at the time, so it was kinda wrong, but once she turned 18 (and was still sane) it wasn't so wrong. Now, its just sad...
6. Sir Mix Alot - Baby got back: EVERYONE knows this song. It even made its way into an episode of Friends. The best was the video though, with him just dancing and singing on a giant ass.
5. Madonna - Vogue: The only thing memorable about this was the dance (lots of hand motions framing your face) and the cone bra. One was cool, one not so much.
4. Whitney Houston - I will always love you: See #7. Amazing voice, snorted it all away.. sad.
3. Backstreet Boys - I want it that way. Yes, I'll admit it, I loved this song, and whenever it comes on the radio, I turn it all the way up. If you were man enough (or woman enough) you'd admit it too.
2. U2 - One: Great great song, though Bono really gets on my nerves now. He seems to be everywhere.
1. Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit: Until they said what #1 was, I had completely forgotten about this song. Wasn't a huge Nirvana fan, but they did single handily usher out the hair band era...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I caught the last two hours of this on VH1 and I loved it! I totally agree with Nirvana being # - they were huge! And I will never forget when Kurt Cobain passed away... it was the night of my junior prom. :(

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wow you seriously dont know much about music do you

Anonymous said...

wow u have a bad taste in music....