Friday, January 25, 2008

How do college students survive??

I know I don't often have much to post, but in my brief (an hour and a half) time on campus yesterday I saw two examples of extreme stupidity and it makes me wonder how anyone survives being a college student.
I have finally learned to check the temperature before I leave the house because otherwise I end up too bundled up, or not bundled enough. According to the thermometer it was 12- therefore longer coat, hat, gloves, and tights under the jeans- it's a decent walk from the parking lot to class. On that trek, I was walking past the Student Union and a very tan (which looks odd in the winter) girl wearing a little hoodie, shorts and ugg boots hops out of her car and trots into the building. Well at least she had boots on so she was warm below the knee...
Then after class I am hurrying back to the car because it is pretty late in the afternoon and starting to feel colder (ah the windchill!) and I see a kid walking around with a t-shirt on (pants too) nothing else. Now I understand you think it's going to be 60 and it's 50 maybe you make the T-shirt mistake, or it is supposed to warm up so you dress for later... But there is no possible way that this was the mistake he made. And he looked COLD. If I was his professor I would take away points for stupidity.
I know dressing warm isn't cool- although with all the hat, glove, matching sets out there and Ugg-type boots being a fashion statement it has gotten better- but given the choice between frostbite and looking dorky, is it really a tough choice to make? (this coming from someone who usually believe fashion before function!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get it either! I practically need full on armor to go out in this weather.

eileen said...

I love it when Sarah posts...in pink, too!
My friend Carolina gets mad when she sees people underdressed from the weather- she think that they should be punished.

Cleaty said...

I actually think winter clothes is more fashionable than summer clothes. I love the long coats and scarfs and gloves and hats (although most look weird on my head). And I love boots! Well, maybe that's just natural selection. The really cold (and stupid) people will die of hypothermia and get taken out of the gene pool.

Anonymous said...

You really don,t have to be intelligent to get into a college.

you have just proved my point!