Thursday, April 17, 2008

65 and sunny!

What a gorgeous day today. 65 degrees, not a cloud in the sky and tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Although it'll drop back into the 50's over the weekend, but I'll take that. It's a lot better than the 30's that's for sure.
It's funny though, the kids up here seem to go right from winter gear to summer clothes. Lots of heavy winter coats/scarfs etc to shorts/skirts and tank tops. Really bizarre. Its not that warm yet guys, settle down..
I had my first basketball official course today. Yep, that's right, you're favorite blogger is becoming a high school basketball ref. The test isn't until September, but they offer courses once a week until then, so I figure why not go, its not like I have anything else going on. I'm also taking the soccer referee exam too, and that's not until August. So come next spring, I'll have less time to blog, but more to blog about.
This news here made my week. You could see it coming though, with the success of Transformers and all. You think that the toy manufacturers just went into the old warehouses, dusted off the toys from the 80's and were like, hey we're out of ideas, this worked once, what the hell, let's try it again. GI Joe's were my favorite too. We had tons of them and I even knew one kid that had the aircraft carrier. Ahhh brings back good memories of a simpler time...
So answer this for me. The federal minimum wage is $5.85, but Maine's is $7.00 and going up to $7.50 this summer (fed will be at $7.25 by 2009). So if the minimum wage is high here, why do all the jobs pay so little? One would think that since the wages start higher, they'd continue to rise, but apparently they just plateau out at some point and stay there. Weird.

No comments: