Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Report

Gotta get this post in before 8:30, as tonight is the first Celtics playoff game and I don't want any distractions while watching!

So let's see.. yesterday. My original plan was to do yard work all day, to clean up around the house etc. Well my uncle called me and asked if I wanted to go play golf at his country club and who am I to say no to that invite. We only played 9 holes, the back nine, but it was perfect for us. Thankfully, they didn't make us team up with two other people (most golf courses want only foursomes to go out) so we got to play alone without two random strangers judging us. For my first time out this year, and my uncles second time ever golfing, I'd say we did pretty darn well, well except for the time we teed off and shot at the wrong green, but that's neither here nor there. The course itself is beautiful, wide open, with only one small water hazard on the back nine. After our round, we had lunch in the clubhouse which was surprisingly tasty. The club itself is very affordable to join, so who knows maybe next year I will...

I figured since I played golf all morning I should do some yard work in the afternoon. So that afternoon I joined my lovely wife (who spent the morning sanding down and priming furniture) in some yard work. It was so gorgeous out that I had no problem working up a good sweat out there.

That evening, the wife and I hit this restaurant/bar in Orono for dinner. The Bearbrew Pub. Great food,everything was very tasty and a large beer selection, including some of their own brews made for a fun night out.

Today... well today was a long day. My uncle bought a greenhouse, one of those kits that you put together yourself. Its like 8'x8' and about 6 feet high. The box says it should take two people 2-3 hours to put together, but you should allow 8-10 hours (btw, what the heck is that supposed to mean? why say 2-3 hours when you think it might take up to 10 hours? and if it takes you 10 hours to put together, I really don't have a lot of faith in your ability to actually grow anything in the greenhouse!). It took us about three hours in total, which wasn't so bad. Putting it together wasn't that bad, but I sure as heck won't be buying one for myself anytime soon. Waaaay too many pieces, and it was so windy out, I thought it might actually blow away at one point. I told him next time he wants something built, call the Quakers.

Here's the before.. where we ended up setting it up. You can see parts of the walls leaning against the shed there.

And here's the after... Not too shabby huh. It'll be great to have fresh spices and vegetables year round.
There are a couple of windows that open, and that's a vent above the door. I figure my uncle treats me to golf, I can help him build a shed.. fair trade right?


And although its only April, I already have my first sunburn of the year. Between today's work and yesterdays golf, the neck is quite red. Feels good though, summer's a comin'!!!! Now all I need is Kenny Chesney tickets and I'll be happy.


I would write more, and throw in some more jokes, but frankly I'm exhausted and just want to relax watching my Celtics. This week its supposed to be in the 60's and 70's so maybe I'll get some more down outside around the house... I need to rent a rototiller and just start from scratch in the backyard, so that should provide us with some entertaining pictures.

1 comment:

Cleaty said...

You got a sunburn in Maine in April???!!