Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Randomness

  • Opening day yesterday for the Sox. Thankfully I work in a building with lots (two) of common area tv's so I was able to find a tv, settle on the couch and watch a half hour or so of the ring ceremony etc. This is when being the boss is a good thing. I don't have to worry about my boss catching me;
  • Although being the boss didn't allow me to skip out of work early yesterday so I could go to a bbq the local sports radio station was having. Yep, free hot dogs, meet the personalities and even a contest where one would roll tires at a Yankee's logo. If you hit it, you won a t-shirt, and who doesn't love a free t-shirt! Oh and did I mention that it was held in the parking lot of a local auto parts store. Good times huh...
  • This story is fantastic! The kid makes a great point, although I'm sure the police/school officials weren't too thrilled.
  • So what do you think of all the Olympic protests? I have no problem with the protesting, per se, but I do have a problem with the protesters trying to extinguish the flame. Their actions don't hurt China at all, but they do hurt the people who have been given the opportunity to carry the torch. That's a pretty big deal and something you can be very proud of. The games themselves this summer, should be highly entertaining though. Not the actual competitions, but it'll be interesting to see how China deals with all the protesters.
  • For the first time in maybe 10-15 years, I bought a pack of baseball cards. Topps. Now back in my day (said in best Grampa Simpson voice) cards were 50 cents a pack, stale, tasteless piece of gum included. The pack I bought, $3.29!!! Are you kidding me? And they actually advertise the gum, like it's an added bonus or something. I thought about getting back into collecting, but with cards being that expensive, eff that.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

and if you started collecting baseball cards again I would have to mock you relentlessly, and likely send you to live in your parents' basement

Cleaty said...

I am glad I don't have to decide whether or not to attend the Olympics. On the one hand, it is unfair to deny those athletes who have trained for years to get to these Olympics. The Olympics should not be a political event. But China is making them a political event and a stamp of approval. And we should do what we can to stop the human rights violations they are committing. I guess if I did have to decide, I would allow our athletes to attend the Olympics and hopefully use that as a step towards dialog with China.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
you're making a very big assumption there that his parents would let him back!!!!!

Anonymous said...

China is making it a political event? Disagree. All Olympics are political. Munich with the terrorists, the US boycotting Moscow, steroids in Montreal. Every Olympics has it's own political issue.

jay said...

i never said the Olympics weren't political. Of course they are. Even further back with Jesse Owens and the Hitler Olympics of, i think, 1936. There's always something political behind the games. What i said was that it will be interesting to see how China deals with the protests in china during the games