Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend Report

So lets see.. Friday.. didn't do much really. We went during lunch, and found some stone that we liked at a local hardware store. The stuff we liked, they were discontinuing so they were looking to unload it. They gave us a third off, which was music to our ears. So this week, four pallets of stone will be delivered to our house and next weekend we'll have a retaining wall in front of our house. Anyone that wants to come up and help, I'll pay for your gas or buy your bus ticket! After work I just crashed on the couch and just stayed in with my lovely wife, the tv and some chinese food. Good times had by all.

Saturday, well let me tell you about Saturday. Got up bright and early and off to Home Depot we went. They're closing the one near us, and moving to a new location which is closer, so that's nice (although i really prefer Lowes). We went with the plan to just buy some stuff for the yard. Well we did that, and a couple of other items such as a patio heater (this isn't the one we bought, its just a picture of one so you know what I'm talking about). Everything in the store is on sale (they're not moving any inventory to the new store), and we just can't help ourselves sometimes. The nice part is, we do spend a lot of time outside so this will keep us warm now.

When we got home, we decided to tackle the back lawn. I had rented a rototiller the day before, so that afternoon was spent being dragged around the yard. Here's a picture of the before..

That's all "grass". Turns out we have grubs, and they're killing all our grass. No one lived in the house for almost two years before we bought it, so no one took care of the yard etc. (the guy who owned it before us was a minister. he moved up here to preside over a local church.. thing is, this church was very tolerant of all ways of life, and this minister wasn't. so he and his wife moved almost immediately, leaving the house empty and unable to sell it until we came along)
That's me.. power tools are fun. While I dug up the yard, the wife started picking up the weeds, etc.
She didn't want to give it a try, but did anyway. As you can tell the machine wasn't really designed to be used by people as tiny as she is. That machine just pulls you around the yard like you're a rag doll. Sure gives the arms a great workout. Who needs the gym! Just do yard work!
Same day, different clothes. It went from nice, to warm, to warmer to chilly.
So the entire backyard has been ripped up, and now we need to get something to kill all the grubs. Once that's done, some new topsoil and grass seed will be put down, which will hopefully result in a beautiful lawn.


After a long day of yard work, we didn't do much last night. Just went over to my aunt's to say Happy Birthday, then off to Bugaboo for dinner and a couple of drinks. ABC has been showing the Harry Potter movies the past couple of Saturday's so we watched that last night, and were in bed by 11:30, which is extremely late for us.


Today.. laaaazy Sunday for me, or at least the morning was. Didn't do anything until 1 or so, when I hit the driving range and played a quick 9 holes with my uncle. When I arrived, he was already on the range getting a lesson. So I set up a couple of tee's down and started swinging away. I think I owe him for half the lesson though, as I was listening in on what was being said. I took one of the tips, tried it out, and walla!! I can now hit the ball straight. Simple as that. Anyway, the nine was fun ( I shot about 10 shots better than last week. Doesn't say much for last week, now does it).


And I'm pleased to announce, that upon returning home from golf, the inaugural batch of McGinty IPA was made!!!! In for short weeks, my beer will be ready. The brewing process ran me about 2-2.5 hours, not too bad, and everything seems to be ok. I'll know more in a couple of weeks when I bottle it though.

No comments: