Monday, April 7, 2008

Somebody Has A Case of the Mondays

  • Anyone else out there catch the Martin Luther King Jr. documentary on the History channel last night. Really great stuff. I highly recommend watching it, if you have the time (its two hours long).
  • Today is one of the most important days in the history of our amazing country. Today in 1933, Prohibition was lifted and alcohol was allowed to be served again. If not for that ruling by FDR, I would have two less hobbies (drinking and brewing), be fifteen pounds lighter and not have dated half the girls I dated (because I would have been sober). Smarter decisions/healthier lifestyle be damned, I'm thankful President Roosevelt did what he did.
  • In defiance of Maine's so called "spring", I put away my winter coat today. No more wearing it even if its only 25 degrees when I leave for work in the morning. I also decided I'm putting away my sweaters; who needs to be warm, right! After work tonight, the wife and I went for a nice long walk (it was like 50 degrees out, how could we not) and actually cooked some burgers out on the grill for the first time since December. Mmmmm bbq....
  • Charlton Heston died. Very sad, but he and his love of the NRA lived a good life. Now I'm worried though, cuz deaths always come in threes, so I'm wondering who the next two will be. If I'm famous and nearing the end, I'm getting my affairs in order if you know what I'm saying.
  • Have you seen this? Its a pretty innovative way to raise money for charity and it includes minimal work by the person lending their name out. And yes, I'll probably buy some.
  • Dick Vitale, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwun, Pat Riley and Adrian Dantley were all elected to the hall of fame today. Vitale I can see because of his love for the game and all the work he does to promote it. He deserves it. As do Olajuwun (who was unstoppable in his day) and Riley, for his coaching mostly. Ewing, I believe, got in for his total body of work, college included. I think of him like a Cal Ripken. Never once did I go to a game excited to see him play, but at the same time you have to respect what he did and the numbers he put up. Dantley is a mystery to me. He's a little before my time, and I never realized he was that great of a scorer. Congrats to everyone.

No comments: