Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Are we there yet?

So good day today at work. I've reached that point where when I finally figure out how to do something new, I get that feeling you get when you're 5 years old and you tie your shoe for the first time. The toughest part though, is figuring out how to be a boss. I've never really been one before, and now I have 6 people under me, with no boss over me in the office. Which means I get to make each and every decision. Luckily, my staff is fantastic. Trying to find that boss/friend line is probably the hardest though. I don't have it in me to rule with an iron fist, but I don't want to come across too soft either. I guess the atmosphere that I've tried to create here is that I'm a friend first and a boss second, and probably an entertainer third.
Seriously though, its tough determining what to do myself and what to delegate, but I'm slowly figuring it out I guess. The most difficult part is coming into this job and receiving basically zero training. I'm a relatively smart guy, I can figure most things out on my own, but there are so many different databases and policies to learn in such a small amount of time, that it can be excruciatingly frustrating (just ask Sarah, I'm sure she's sick of listening to me vent). I do however, really enjoy the position and think I'm doing a darn good job too. They're sending me to Pittsburgh for the day next week for some more training. Yippee, Pittsburgh. Its only one night and a day of training before flying home, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Anyway, so I've been watching that Ken Burns documentary, The War on PBS. Really excellent stuff if you're a history buff like I am. No reenactments, all home movies/pictures etc solicited from people from around the country. Really engaging tv. I think things like this should be required viewing. People need to be reminded about the past, and thankful for the sacrifices others have made before us. I guess I think about this more than most people because I work in a building full of people who fought, or lived thru this. They're called the greatest generation, and after watching The War, you really understand why.
Wow, since when did I become so serious in my blog. Time to lighten up a little euh.
No real tv on so far tonight. Watched some of The Bionic Woman. Its entertaining, but it doesn't have me glued to the tv yet. The show on later tonight, Life, looks pretty good though. Tomorrow is the season premier of My Name is Earl and The Office. Looking forward to both of those.
And finally, only 2 more days until the arrival of our first non family guests! Can't wait!!! We'll have to do something to commemorate the occasion, but I just don't know what yet... suggestions????

No comments: