Sunday, August 26, 2007

Baba-Ganouj!!!

So its Sunday, and the end of the weekend, but what a good weekend it was. Sarah's parents came to visit, and the arrived around 3:30 Friday evening. I of course, got stuck at work late, and didn't make it home until 6. Luckily that was the time the lobsters and steamers were scheduled to be picked up. So we lit a fire, that didn't want to stay lit, lit the citronella candles/torches and settled outside to eat. The lobster, as always was fantastic. Before picking up the lobster, I stopped at the grocery store to get some beer. I tried a Wingwalker beer a week or two ago and loved it (honey wheat), so I decided to try to more kinds, lager and amber ale. The lager was fantastic (very similar to a Brooklyn lager, not too far off from Sam Adams), the amber ale wasn't as good, but my father in law might beg to differ. For those of you who like lobster, (not you Phil) we'll have to get it when you come up. The place we get it from will cook it for us, and its always soooooo good. I'm not a huge fan of lobster but they just taste better up here. The rest of Friday night was spent basically just hanging around and catching up.
Saturday we drove to Acadia/Bar Harbor. Sarah got the bright idea to walk around Jordan Pond. She told us it was only 2 miles, but it ended up being 3. Three miles isn't a whole lot, but it was really hot and humid out. Needless to say, Sarah is never in charge of planning a day again.

As you can see, part of the trail is boardwalk, and the other 2/3 or so is just normal dirt hiking trail.
The halfway point where we promised the in-laws that it would be shady from there on out. Not that we were lying, but it wasn't.
This is a view from the start of the trail around the pond. Its a beautiful place to hike, I just think we needed to be better prepared (and in better shape). If you're into the outdoorsy stuff, I highly recommend you come up to Acadia National Park, we can even go camping if you want.
After that, we went to Bar Harbor for lunch. Bar Harbor is a typical little New Englandy seaside town. Lots of shops and restaurants. We had a nice time walking around, etc, nothing all that exciting, but still fun.
After Bar Harbor we stopped over my uncles house so the in-laws could see the barn/horses they've heard so much about. We hung out and chatted for an hour or so and headed home for a nap (seperate naps of course). That night we hit the local Thai place for dinner. (good food as always, tried Singha, the Thai beer. Good stuff, basically a better quality Coors light I thought.) After we went to the American Folk Festival, which was in Bangor for the weekend. Maine is a state of around one million people, and over 200,000 come to this festival ever year. The music was good, the Tibetan monks "singing" was pretty interesting I guess. With all due respect to the monks, to my uncultured ear, it basically sounded like a burping contest. (the funny part was when they were giving a synopsis of the music before singing, the monk speaking said that the lamas were going to come out and sing now. My first thought of course was llamas, not lamas, and it provided a pretty funny visual.)
Sunday morning we went over my other uncles house for coffee, but it was basically so my in-laws could meet the rest of the family we talk so much about. Good time all around I'd say.
One of the perks of Sunday morning coffee was the presence of many yummy foods, one of which I'd never tried before.. baba ganouj . Fantastic stuff. I actually bought some more when I went grocery shopping this evening. Its good, but not as good as the home made stuff I had over my uncles house, so I'll need to get the recipe for it from them.
All in all, it was a a great weekend. We had our second official houseguests and we haven't heard one complaint yet. Two for two, not bad...

No comments: