Sunday, October 14, 2007

Constructive Critism. I love it, I need it.

So those of you who read my sometimes fun, sometimes boring ramblings know I tend to talk about the same things. I also ask for reader suggestions/feedback. Well, I've finally received some feedback and its great. I'm going to cut and paste his suggestions right here, with my own thoughts thrown in after in italics...
10. Buy a camera - seriously, there are no pictures on this thing.Carry a camera wherever you go. We are living in a visual world(HDTV, IPHONES etc) You're no Hemingway (it's true), we don't want to read about 3 feet high walls of sh*t, we want to see it. Very valid point. And its true, every time we go somewhere I always forget my camera. My camera phone does the trick sometimes, but its not good enough. Be prepared to see more pics now.
9. Get a Hobby or Hobbies - you need to do some more exciting stuff.Sue loved the before and after pics (see pictures, it sells trust me)of the renovations to the house. You have hobbies or had hobbies you just need to do them. Brew beer (in the cat free room though, it's"hair of the dog" not hair of the cat), go to wine tastings,breweries, train for a triathlon something. Hobbies, excellent suggestion. The problem is finding something interesting enough to write about. I'll do some thinking on this one and get back to you.
8. Ingratiate yourself in the Maine lifestyle - I am guessing many of your readers are not from Maine, so you need to go out and do as the Mainiacs do. Join a militia, go to county fairs, join a gun club, do stuff you can't do in Milton or Framingham. Gun club is on the radar, and we hit our 3rd "fair" yesterday. (see previous post)
7. Wean yourself off TV - seriously we get it, you love TV, you haveTIVOs, but it seems this is all you do. Aren't TIVO's supposed to allow you to live a life away from the couch? This is supposed to be your "life as the newest residents of the Atlantic Northeast" but all I am getting is you sitting on the same couch staring at the same TV from Framingham. Truthfully I sometimes think I can skip ahead inyour blog by just reading TV guide. BUT, if you're going to write about TV, maybe keep a weekly running blog about a favorite show like Lost, 24, Heroes or American Idol. I know, I watch too much tv. Its a life long addiction. I blame society and the pressures it puts on me to watch. I need to read more...
6. Another Cat? Really? - Dude sack up and get a dog. CATS are friends to no one but old ladies and who wants to hang with old ladies, right? DOGS are fun, everyone loves dogs. No one loves cats,let's examine this further:CATS:Siamese Cats from Lady & The Tramp, Sylvester of Sylvester & Tweety Bird fame, Tom of Tom & Jerry, Heathcliff "Heathcliff, Heathcliff no one should, terrorize the neighborhood",Garfield - lazy bas tard DOGS:Goofy, Pluto, Snoopy, Odie (yeah I said Odie,what of it?)Lady & The Tramp. Cats aren't mine! They're Sarah's I swear. And as for a dog, we're just too lazy to have one. Having Cody for a weekend made us realize that a dog isn't for us, with all the walking and picking up poop and all that.
5. Fell Free to NOT post - hey if nothing happened that day, don't feel the need to post. It's like you have an addiction to post stuff everyday. Sometimes I think you rival Spenser and Heidi from "The Hills" (for non Hills Fans substitute KFED or Paris) as the most written about person for actually doing nothing. This is a tough one. I like posting every night, its become part of my routine!
4. You need an entourage or a sidekick- we all need an entourage, but still. Seriously, there are no other people appearing in your blog.You could have murdered Sarah weeks ago and gone all Norman Bates onus and we wouldn't know. ("All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"). Without other stars of the blog, you might as well as writing to Mr. Henshaw. I tell Sarah to write all the time, but like most normal people, she really has no interest. As for the sidekick, that's a toughie. I really haven't found any friends yet, never mind one willing to play second fiddle to me.
3. Avoid recurring themes - your readers want excitement not the same old stuff unless the same ol stuff is awesome. An adage to live by,if someone can making a drinking game out of your blog, you need to start switching things up. Sorry brother, that's my life right now, same old same old. Soon there will be more though, I promise.
2. You need to nail down that ranking system - I am not sure how to doit, I'll leave that up to you. But if you are ranking a beer I think all rankings should kind of have the same setup, here's what I am thinking:Harpoon Winter Warmer Style: Spiced Ale Orig. Gravity: 14.5 PColor: Dark CopperABV: 5.5%***** out of 5 stars. This cinamony winter ale is the best beer on earth. This is a tougher one. I'm still working on the details of my system. Stay tuned though.
1. Sex Sells- now before you get too personal here. Here is what I mean. Next time you get invited to a FRAT party, you go to the Fing frat party. My school didn't have FRATs. The pics alone from that party would make the blog. Ok there are 10 suggestions, just my opinion. But I think definitely more pictures. This will definitely happen. I wanted to go, the misses didn't, so you can blame her for that one!

All the suggestions are great and of course made me laugh. In the coming weeks, stay tuned for a better, more exciting jay..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this format. It is like an informal interview with you... this could work in future posts.

And I noticed I am mentioned in it - and I will admit it... as I have before. I like the pictures you post!