Sunday, October 14, 2007

You asked for it, here it is.

So the little pep talk about my boring life (see previous post) was just the kick in the arse I needed. Quick weekend rundown followed pics of my newest endeavor into home improvement.
Ok, so Friday night, we tried TriCity Pizza. Supposed to be a great pizza place. Yet when I called, no delivery, no side orders (onion rings, chicken fingers, salads, etc) and it would be 45 minutes before I could come get it. So there's three strikes right there. The pizza itself was so-so. Besides Domino's, we really haven't found any good pizza up here yet. There's a new place that just opened up, so we're going to try that next.
Yesterday we went to a, well, I really don't know what it was. Fall Festival maybe? It was a farmer who had this fair-like thing set up and they were giving hay rides, had a petting zoo, selling apple cider, and had a maze made out of corn shaped like a sheep. Not the corn, they were shaped like corn, but the maze itself was sheep like. Here's a picture of the map at the entrance.
You entered at the head, like food, and exited between the legs, like drink. It probably took us about 15 minutes to navigate our way thru it. Technically you were supposed to find 5 trivia questions thruout the maze, answer the question and punch a little card they gave you with your answer. Sarah and I seemed to have missed this part and didn't see any questions at all. Uncle's B and M did do this part, so we all of course made fun of them for taking so long in the maze.
We then hit the Texas Roadhouse for dinner last night. There were 11 of us in total, so we called ahead for seating. This of course did nothing as we still had to wait forever for a table. The place was absolutely packed too! And not worth the wait. Food was decent,(fried steak for me. thankfully Sarah had the portable defibrillator handy) but there is never ever evah any reason to wait that long for decent food. Plus, it was so crowded we had to wait outside and it was pretty darn chilly out. The only good part was the free peanuts, and I love me some peanuts...
So today I finally started working on the 3rd floor. It has the UGLIEST brown carpeting up there (see below). The carpet is shag. Instead of pulling it up, I could have taken the lawn mower up there and gone to town on it. The walls are just your run of the mill cheapo fake wood paneling..
















I'm not sure who that guy is, but man is he good looking..

















And industrious!














After a couple of hours of work, (no radio up there, so I had my iPod on. My "singing" was so loud that Sarah could hear it 2 floors below. Aren't you glad you don't live with me too) I finished up. There's probably about 12 bags of carpet/carpet pads up there. There's a half arse coat of primer on the wall too. I need to put a more thorough coat on this week.















Sorry that the picture is so dark. I took it tonight and there's only one bulb in the overhead light.
I think we're going to try to sand and refinish the floor, but we'll see. Its in pretty tough shape. Paint (not mine) spilled everywhere, pieces of a laminate floor still stuck down, and carpet staples EVERYWHERE. But its a lot cheaper than recarpeting it or putting down a new floor entirely.
I gotta say though, pulling up carpet is never fun. Its the type of job you get some friends to help you out with, but all my friends are 250 miles away, so that wasn't going to happen. Once its done though, we're going to make it into another guest bedroom, cat free of course.
Stay tuned for more pictures this week, as I finish priming, then paint it. Hopefully next weekend we'll tackle the floor, but we'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like a lot of work. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Is the 3rd floor heated? What are you planning to do with it?

Oh, and calling yourself "good looking" is a bit weird, even if it is your own blog.

Anonymous said...

Nice work on pulling up the carpet! I like the action shots!

And the fall festival sounds awesome.. did you have any apple cider? That is one of the best parts of the fall!

eileen said...

exited between the legs? heh.

good luck with the 3rd floor project!