Thursday, October 25, 2007

Game 2

Great win by the Sox last night. I stayed up until the 8th inning, then called it a night. I figured at that point the victory was pretty much in hand. Hopefully tonight will be another blowout so I can go to bed again at a reasonable hour(before midnight)..
Two new beers to report on. But first, you'll notice to the right I posted my beer scale. Its not perfect, there's still more work to be done, but it's a start. Now obviously there are a million beers out there, so I just picked ones that came to mind. Feel free to criticize my scale, and suggest better examples or ways to tinker with it. Constructive criticism is always welcome... now on to the new tastings.
1. Weyerbacher Blighering Idiot - Interesting to say the least. 11.1%abv. Its a barley - wine hybrid beer. I can't figure out how much I liked it. It basically tastes like someone took 3 parts beer and one part red wine and mixed them together. Part of it reminded me of a port, but port is much fuller in taste. The first flavor that hits your pallet is the malt/barley, but the after taste is very wine like. When slowly sipped (like a wine or scotch etc) it wasn't bad. When I took a couple of sips in a row (to finish it off) it was not good at all...
I think I'd like to try it again, but for now I'm giving it a middle of the road 4 on the Jayscale. But like I said, I reserve the right to change that after I try it again. The website suggests drinking it from a snifter, so I might have to give that a whirl.
2. Flying Dog Dogtoberfest - Euh. I'm not a huge fan of Flying Dog beers in general. Mostly middle of the road. To be truthful, October beers are my favorite, so I'm a little tougher on these beers. Dogtoberfest is 5.8%abv. Not a fan of this one. Very banal in flavor, almost like they forgot to add taste. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a solid Fall beer. Dogtoberfest gets a very minimal 2 on the Jayscale.

No comments: