Monday, October 15, 2007

Slow day

Not much to report on today. But I did try two new beers. (I just discovered that the beer store near my house allows you to split up six packs. So instead of buying a six pack of one beer, I can buy six different ones and try them all. And for someone in my situation, quality over quantity, that's a good thing)
First one is a Weyerbacher AutumnFest Ale. Excellent beer. Strong malt taste, which I like and copper in color. 5.4%abv, just a great transition between the lighter beers of summer and the dark winter brews. I've had three different Weyerbacher products, and so far all three have been quite good. Not sure why I haven't seen them in more stores,(they're out of PA) but I highly recommend them.
Second one was a Mount Desert Island Ginger. Its a local beer, out of Bar Harbor and Portland. Not a huge fan. Its a wheat beer (5.2abv), which I like, but they're not usually my first choice. The ginger is almost overwhelming in flavor. Golden brown in color, this beer wasn't really up to par. Not something I'd buy in the bottle again, but I would try it on tap at a restaurant, as most beers taste better out of the tap.
A question for my Framingham peeps. Has John Harvard's discontinued the Harvest Spice? I checked the website and it doesn't mention it...I was really looking forward to purchasing a growler next time I was in MA.
Anyway, that's all for now, not looking good for the Sox...

2 comments:

Cleaty said...

I too prefer beers on tap than to the bottle, but while we were in New Orleans, a restaurant was selling Abita Amber (local beer) on tap for $4/pint and bottles for $5.5 each. Not only does a pint from the tap taste better, you get a lot more and it's a lot cheaper. I don't know why anyone would buy the bottle.

Anonymous said...

Two comments:
1 - In college, I used to go to a bar that was dirty. Glasses were barely wiped before reuse. I always bought bottled beer there. Today I am disease free!
2 - I'll check on Harvest Spice for you.
Interestingly, your blog is #10 on Google if you search for "john harvard harvest spice beer"